EMAILWIRE.COM, July 19, 2007 ) San Angelo, TX – Coping with a long-term or chronic illness can disrupt your life in many ways. Pain and fatigue may become a frequent part of your day. Your illness might affect your appearance or your physical abilities and independence. You may not be able to work, causing financial problems.
Dr. William (Bill) Code has been there and come back. Diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in 1996, Code was forced to retire from his busy practice in Anesthesia and Pain Management. Suffering from a debilitating state of fatigue, cognitive challenges, declining mobility, muscle spasms and nerve pain problems, he determined to find a solution. After exhaustive research he and his wife, Denise, a Registered Dietitian with a Master of Science in Nutrition, turned to integrative medicine. The results changed his life.
His recovery journey is outlined in three books published in 2000, 2005 and 2007. The most recent book Winning the Pain Game outlines a roadmap to reducing chronic pain through nutritional choices. Code recommends ten simple and effective ways to improve various chronic health conditions:
- 2 Tablespoons of ground flax daily: This boosts the omega fat, alpha linolenic acid intake. Lignans decrease heart attack, stroke and bowel and breast cancer. Flax also contains soluble and insoluble fiber!
- 4000 IU of Vitamin D daily: This will help optimize the immune system, and reduce cancer and auto immune conditions. This will also help your body absorb more calcium – important for preventing osteoporosis.
- 1 multi vitamin/multi mineral supplement daily: This is important for folic acid, B6 and B12. Be sure that it disintegrates in water within two to four hours.
- 1000 mg calcium and 500 mg magnesium daily: This is important for bone health.
- Use only healthy fats and oils (i.e. quality olive oil) and butter or coconut oil for cooking at higher heats.
- Avoid trans fats: These are hydrogenated vegetable oils found commonly in baked goods and muffins. This will greatly reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke.
- 3 – 5 emu oil gel caps daily: This will improve energy and mental focus, and will often thicken your hair.
- 20 – 30 grams high quality, undenatured whey protein isolate daily: This optimizes the immune system, provides antioxidant benefits, and helps in detoxification.
- Avoid foods to which you are sensitive: This may include wheat (gluten) and dairy (casein, the cheese protein).
- Enjoy regular daily exercise: walking, cycling, weights, Yoga, Tai Chi, Pilates. Find some form of physical activity that you enjoy! There are lots of choices.
Dr. Code is considered the leading Canadian authority on emu oil and its uses. On July 7th he presented Emu Oil Use in Medical Care, Research, & Emu Industry in Canada during the Emu Oil Seminar for Medical Professionals held in conjunction with the American Emu Association annual convention. To learn more about Dr. Bill Code’s journey and the complementary therapies and nutrition he uses and recommends for others, please visit his website, Empowering Medical Understanding, http://www.drbillcode.com.
Founded in 1989, The American Emu Association is a non-profit trade association representing breeders, producers and marketers of emu meat, oil and other emu co-products. The emu industry is an alternative agricultural industry, dominated by the small farmer, who is devoted to humane and environmentally positive practices that will produce beneficial products for society. For more information about the American Emu Association (AEA) or the emu industry visit http://www.aea-emu.org or call 541-332-0675.