Formed in 1989, the AEA is a national, member driven, non-profit agricultural association dedicated to the emu industry. AEA promotes public awareness of emu products, fosters research and publishes a bi-monthly newsletter and several industry brochures.
We invite anyone interested in this form of alternative agriculture to check out our library of emu farming information, visit at least one established emu farm and sit in on a local emu association meeting. If you are involved in the emu industry, we hope you will join us as we advance the industry; new members are always welcome.
To find out more about emu oil, emu meat, and other co-products available from this wonderful ratite, visit the resource page. To find an emu farm near you, please visit our state affiliates page or email for information.
Mission Statement: The American Emu Association is dedicated to developing structural support and visionary leadership for the emu industry.
Industry Statement: The American Emu Association represents an alternative agricultural industry, dominated by the small farmer, who is committed to humane and environmentally positive practices that produce high quality, beneficial products.
Emu Oil Refining Statement: The American Emu Association (AEA) does not endorse or recommend any particular method of emu oil refining.
The AEA does insist that whatever method of refining is used, the emu oil must match the fatty acid profile parameters for pure emu oil and that it meets or exceeds the standards for Fully Refined Emu Oil – Grade A as listed in the Emu Oil Trade Rules guidelines.
What Has the AEA Done for the U.S. Emu Industry?
- Active in Ag & Legislative Awareness (laws, appropriations, etc.).
- US Postal Service approval to ship day old emu chicks.
- Source for postal shipping boxes for day old emu chicks.
- Research projects being actively pursued.
- TV and Radio ad promotion program.
- Developed Emu Meat TV commercials for member use.
- Emu Oil TV commercials are being developed.
- RSS Feed utilized for press releases.
- Brochures, publications, newsletter, etc.
- Member e-mail lists.
- American Oil Chemist Society (AOCS) presence.
- Annual Emu Industry National Convention.
- Feed Formulator CD and individual feed formulating assistance for members.
- Business aids – CDs of Pricing for Profits, a Presentation for Schools or Groups.
- Developed the AEA Certified Emu Oil Program.
Emu are raised on feed formulated to optimize growth in spacious pens providing ample room to grow. In addition to a Heart Healthy red meat, emu provide several co-products. This includes the fat, which is rendered into a safe, and stable oil used in cosmetic and health products. The leather is crafted into beautiful goods; the feathers are used for industrial, fashion and craft purposes. The large green eggs are used by egg artists and crafters. There are niche markets for all parts of this totally usable bird.