Site Selection Considerations/Site Inspection Checklist
- Ease and cost
- Proximity to airport
- Permits access by people with disabilities
- Adequate taxi/limousine service
- Sufficient parking space
- Availability and cost of shuttle service
- Adequate airport assistance
- Adequate number of flights into destination
- Seasonality of destination (peak season vs. off-season)
- Efficient, friendly doormen and bellmen
- Attractive, clean lobby
- Registration desk easy to find: sufficient space and personnel in relation to guest rooms; ability to handle peak check-in/check-out
- times for major groups; efficient front desk personnel
- Modern elevators in sufficient number to serve guests when the facility is full
- Accessible, fully-staffed message and information desk: rapid response to telephone calls; quick delivery of messages
- Availability of guest services: drugstores, banks, emergency services, gift shop, concierge, safety deposit boxes, wi-fi availability,
- business center.
- Comfortable clean rooms: furniture in good condition, modern bathroom fixtures, adequate lighting, adequate closet space and
- hangers, smoke detectors, fire exit information clearly
- Availability of local attractions
- Weather conditions
- Safety of area
- Economic health of community
- Reputation of area/facility for hosting meetings
- Support and services available from local convention bureau
- Availability of experienced suppliers, such as audiovisual firms, exhibit service contractors, temporary help, and security
A few things to look into regarding the hotel choice:
- Does the hotel provide a free shuttle service to and from the airport? How often?
- Does the hotel have safe parking available (free with room, or very reasonable)?
- Does the hotel have good working elevators if it’s on more than one floor? Big enough to accommodate lots of boxes?
- Does the hotel have inside hallways? If you remember, the hotel in Washington was one with doors to the outside, so every time we went to our rooms, we had to walk outside in record-breaking temps.