If I purchase fresh emu that is not vacuum-packed, how do I properly wrap it for the freezer?
Follow these steps:
- Use freezer wrap materials such as specially coated freezer paper (place the waxed side against the meat); heavy-duty aluminum foil; heavy-duty polyethylene film; heavy-duty food grade plastic bags.
- Re-wrap the emu meat in convenient portions: leave roasts whole but place steaks in meal-size packages. If ground emu has been bought in bulk, repackage in one-pound packages or pre-shaped patties. Put a double layer of waxed paper between steaks and patties.
- Wrap the meat tightly, pressing as much air out of the package as possible.
- Label with the name of the cut and date.
- Freeze at 0 degrees F or lower.